(Greencastle, Ind.) Putnam County officials announced today that there are currently 142confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the county. Of the 142 positive cases in the county, 121 have fully recovered.
The Putnam County Health Dept. confirmed today the OptumServe testing site will remain open until June 27, 2020. COVID-19 testing, offered free of charge, is available for high-risk Hoosiers showing symptoms of COVID-19 or in direct contact with someone who has the virus. Effective June 22, the testing site will move from its current location to Harris Hall at the Putnam Co. Fairgrounds.
Visit https://pchosp.org/testing-site-opens-may-13/ to learn who should be tested. Registration is required athttps://lhi.care/covidtestingor(888) 634-1116. Testing is available Monday through Friday.
Since the OptumServe testing site opened on May 13, 405 people have been tested.
Additional updates include:
- You may hear from the State’s contractor for contact tracing if you have come into contact with an individual who tests positive at the OptumServe test site. Expanded contact tracing is critical to stopping the spread of the virus into the community. Please be alert for emails or text messages that come from a different area code. Don’t ignore these messages!
- The Celebrate 4 Committee and the City of Greencastle announced today that the annual Celebrate 4 events and fireworks will be postponed until 2021. This was a very difficult decision that was made with the safety of our citizens, vendors, volunteers and staff in mind. The planning committee reviewed guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and the State Department of Health and other best practices in making the decision.
- The Greencastle Police Department Boot Camp that was scheduled for the week of June 15-June 19, 2020 has been cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Bring a mask from home when out in public and wear it. Practice social distancing, too. Contact Putnam County’s Masked Mommas if you need a mask. Our dedicated community volunteers have made and distributed thousands of masks. Visit https://www.facebook.com/Putnam-County-Mask-Mommas-Sew-Serve-100134314992282/ for a mask.
It is imperative individuals take action to avoid COVID-19 to prevent its spread. A number of preventive steps include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of illness.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your elbow.
- Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands afterwards.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear face coverings in public when performing essential duties.
- We are all in this together.
Putnam County is providing regular updates on COVID-19 to citizens as part of its effort to complement the daily updates from the Indiana State Dept. of Health. The updates can be accessed via www.coronavirus.in.gov.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, please visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.