(Greencastle, Ind.) Putnam County officials announced today that there are currently 78confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the county.
Also today, the Putnam County Commissioners and the City of Greencastle have determined to continue to operate public business remotely.
For the County:
- The Putnam County Courthouse will continue to remain closed through and including May 18, 2020. Some offices will be open every Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The schedule is at https://pchosp.org/government-offices/.
- County offices will be staffed daily by one staff member from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- The Board of Zoning Appeals and the Plan Commission meetings will occur as scheduled this month. Details about remote participation will be announced in the coming days.
The Putnam County Commissioners strongly encourage citizens to wear a mask while in public and at the Courthouse, and to continue to practice social distancing.
For the City:
- City Hall will remain closed through the end of May, with City boards and commissions meeting remotely. Contact City Hall at (765) 653-3100 to connect with city departments.
Putnam County officials, along with the Putnam County Health Department, Putnam County Commissioners, and a number of community stakeholders are continuing to analyze Governor Holcomb’s plans for implementation in the county. The five-stage plan to re-open Indiana is at www.backontrack.in.gov.
The Governor’s announcement underscored that citizens most vulnerable to COVID-19, Hoosiers 65 and over and those with high-risk health conditions, should remain at home.
Additional updates include:
- Primary Election isTuesday, JUNE 2, 2020. Putnam County Clerk Heather Gilbert is sharing the many ways citizens can vote in the Primary Election on June 2.
It is imperative individuals take action to avoid COVID-19 to prevent its spread. A number of preventive steps include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of illness.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your elbow.
- Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands afterwards.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear face coverings in public when performing essential duties.
- We are all in this together.
Putnam County is providing regular updates on COVID-19 to citizens as part of its effort to complement the daily updates from the Indiana State Dept. of Health. The updates can be accessed via www.coronavirus.in.gov.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, please visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.