(Greencastle, Ind.) Putnam County officials announced today that there are currently 93confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the county.
Additional updates include:
- More COVID-19 testing is coming to Putnam County. OptumServe is offering FREE tests to high-risk Hoosiers showing symptoms of COVID-19 or in direct contact with someone who has the virus. Visit https://www.pchosp.org/testing-site-opens-may-13/ to learn who should be tested. Registration is required at https://lhi.care/covidtesting or (888) 634-1116. Testing is available Monday through Friday through June 5. Please note that with the increase in testing, it’s possible that the number of cases in the county will increase.
- You may hear from the State’s contractor for contact tracing if you have come into contact with an individual who tests positive at the OptumServe test site. Expanded contact tracing is critical to stopping the spread of the virus into the community. Please be alert for emails or text messages that come from a different area code. Don’t ignore these messages!
- The OptumServe test site did not open on time this morning. If you weren’t able to get a test this morning, you can come back after 2 p.m. today. OptumServe has indicated they will reschedule the tests for the people who didn’t get tested.
- Some Putnam County offices will be open Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The schedule is at https://www.pchosp.org/government-offices/.
- Some local businesses are re-opening this week, based on Governor Holcomb’s Back on
- Track Roadmap. Before visiting your favorite local business, please call or visit their website or social media feed to check their safety guidelines.
- Bring a mask from home when out in public and wear it. Practice social distancing, too.
- Contact Putnam County’s Masked Mommas if you need a mask. Our dedicated community volunteers have made and distributed thousands of masks. Visit https://www.facebook.com/Putnam-County-Mask-Mommas-Sew-Serve-100134314992282/ for a mask.
It is imperative individuals take action to avoid COVID-19 to prevent its spread. A number of preventive steps include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of illness.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your elbow.
- Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands afterwards.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear face coverings in public when performing essential duties.
- We are all in this together.
Putnam County is providing regular updates on COVID-19 to citizens as part of its effort to complement the daily updates from the Indiana State Dept. of Health. The updates can be accessed via www.coronavirus.in.gov.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, please visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.