(Greencastle, Ind.) The Putnam County Health Dept. announced today the fifth death of aPutnam County resident from COVID-19.
No further information about the individual will be released due to privacy laws. Currently, there are 81 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Putnam County. Additional updates include:
- Putnam County Hospital reports that it has not had an inpatient with COVID-19 in the last 16 days. This includes current patients, as well as individuals who have been tested by the hospital and are recovering at home.
- Greencastle Banner Graphic assistant editor details recent visit to Putnam County Hospital. Jared Jernigan quotes CEO Dennis Weatherford in the article, “People areputting off care that, both short term and long term, is going to have bad effects. If you need care, come in. We’re taking every precaution we possibly can.” Read the article at https://www.bannergraphic.com/story/2726608.html
- Some Putnam County offices will be open Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The schedule is at https://www.pchosp.org/government-offices/.
- Spring property tax installment is due May 11, 2020. Putnam County Treasurer Kathy Minnick is sharing how you can pay your spring property tax installment. Visit https://www.pchosp.org/government-offices/for more information.
- Bring a mask from home when out in public and wear it. Practice social distancing, too. Contact Putnam County’s Masked Mommas if you need a mask. Our dedicated community volunteers have made and distributed thousands of masks. Visit https://www.facebook.com/Putnam-County-Mask-Mommas-Sew-Serve-100134314992282/ for a mask.
It is imperative individuals take action to avoid COVID-19 to prevent its spread. A number of preventive steps include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of illness.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your elbow.
- Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands afterwards.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear face coverings in public when performing essential duties.
- We are all in this together.
Putnam County is providing regular updates on COVID-19 to citizens as part of its effort to complement the daily updates from the Indiana State Dept. of Health. The updates can be accessed via www.coronavirus.in.gov.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, please visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.