In 1908, 26 Putnam County female citizens started what would be the founding of a hospital to serve their family and friends. The hospital would offer solutions to their ever changing healthcare needs, and would bring technologies only previously offered in larger cities to their rural community.
Prior to the hospital opening, Putnam County residents depended on the house calls of local physicians to treat their ailments. Minor operations could be performed in the doctor’s office, but if major surgery was required, the patient had to be transported to Indianapolis.
The money needed to build the hospital was raised through community fundraising events. The week of October 1, 1908, a fair was held in downtown Greencastle to raise money. Hospital bonds were also sold for the facility and many monetary donations were made by local residents and organizations.
In 1924, the hospital opened its doors to begin offering services for the members of Putnam County. During the 55 years at the original location, the Hospital served thousands of patients. The Hospital expanded and was moved for the original location on Shadowlawn Avenue to the current site at 1542 South Bloomington Street, in 1979.
With the addition of the new, updated facility, the Hospital was even better equipped to serve the citizens of Putnam County. In 2001, the Medical Office Building was constructed to offer room for the expansion of Specialists, Physical Therapy and Oncology. In 2005 the Outpatient Surgery Center was expanded and updated to provide the latest in equipment and procedures. The Oncology Center also expanded and was moved to the second floor to allow more treatment bays for patients undergoing chemotherapy treatments.
Today, over 100 years later, Putnam County Hospital still serves the same mission and standards set by its founders: to provide exceptional healthcare to our friends and family in Putnam County, by continuing to provide a number of outpatient and inpatient services as a Critical Access Hospital in Greencastle, Indiana.
Putnam County Hospital offers a 24-hour Emergency Department, Intensive Care Unit, an Acute Care Medical/Surgical unit, and three surgical suites. Observation, inpatient care, and rehabilitation programs are offered within the units.
A host of outpatient services are also available. Cancer treatments, rehabilitation services, an outpatient clinic with over 10 varied specialties, digital radiology, laboratory and respiratory services are conveniently located in-house to provide more options for patients in one stop.
The hospital employs nearly 300 individuals, including physicians. The Hospital Board of Trustees includes Board President David Bray, Vice President Janice Fry, Secretary Fred Mann, Dr. Keith Ernst, Dennis O’Hair, Dr. Robert Heavin and Matthew Headley. (LINKS to each Board Member’s Photo/Page) The Board of Trustees holds the public monthly meeting at 1:00 pm on the third Wednesday of the month in the Hospital Board Room.
The Hospital provides services for residents of Putnam, and portions of Clay, Owen and Parke counties as well.