There are currently 134 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the county.
The Indiana State Dept. of Health’s dashboard is showing one new death from the virus;
however, the Putnam Co. Health Dept. has determined the individual was living outside the
county at the time of death. No further information about the individual will be released due to
The Health Dept. also reports:
- 239 people have been tested at the OptumServe test site since May 13.
- No confirmed cases have been reported at a long-term care facility in the county.
- Due to the Memorial Day holiday and the closure of labs, there may be a lag in test
results that will be reflected in the coming days.
What do I need to know today?
- OptumServe is offering FREE COVID-19 tests in Putnam County. OptumServe is testing high-risk Hoosiers showing symptoms of COVID-19 or in direct contact with someone who has the virus. Visit https://pchosp.org/testing-site-opens-may-13/ to learn who should be tested. Registration is required at https://lhi.care/covidtesting or (888) 634-1116. Testing is available Monday through Friday through June 5. Please note that with the increase in testing, it’s possible that the number of cases in the county will increase.
- You may hear from the State’s contractor for contact tracing if you have come into contact with an individual who tests positive at the OptumServe test site. Expanded contact tracing is critical to stopping the spread of the virus into the community. Please be alert for emails or text messages that come from a different area code. Don’t ignore these messages!
- Bring a mask from home when out in public and wear it. Practice social distancing, too. Contact Putnam County’s Masked Mommas if you need a mask. Our dedicated community volunteers have made and distributed thousands of masks. Visit https://www.facebook.com/Putnam-County-Mask-Mommas-Sew-Serve100134314992282/ for a mask.
- SSome Putnam County offices will be open Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The schedule is at
There are two websites you can visit for updated information:
- Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates
- Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org
What else can I do right now?
It is imperative individuals take action to avoid COVID-19 to prevent its spread. A number of preventive steps include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are showing symptoms of illness.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or sneeze into your elbow.
- Throw the tissue in the garbage and make sure to clean your hands afterwards.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear face coverings in public when performing essential duties.
- We are all in this together.
To learn more about Putnam County’s coordinated response to COVID-19, please visit the Putnam County Hospital at www.pchosp.org/covid-19-updates or the Putnam County Health Department at www.putnamhealthindiana.org.